Sunday, December 2, 2007

“Did You Get Laid?”

This question – a direct quote I am afraid – came during my most recent talk of Success In College at a high school. The student who asked the question was either a junior or senior; she whined the entire lecture as she sat with her head on the desk. The talk took place in the high school’s library and about 50-75 students were there. Nearly all of the students in the library were well-behaved, but what do they say about the rotten apple?

This incident, for lack of a better word, highlights some of the problems with current high school and college students. First, outrageously, disrespectful behavior in class is on the rise and I believe it will reach crisis proportions sooner rather than later. I detail my thoughts on student behavior in class in Chapter Eleven, entitled “In-Class Etiquette: Oh Behave.” Insert Austin Powers’ accent here.

Second, the student, who proclaimed that she wanted to go to college, actually defended her question. When I responded that the question was inappropriate, the student said that I claimed that my original goals in college included meeting women … and so she naturally asked her brilliant question. No accountability here, ladies and gentlemen.

It was my fault. I shouldn’t have started with my perspective as an 18-year old, which I changed before I even arrived in college. The introduction of the book (and this particular lecture) explain how I told my gym teacher/true guidance counselor that I wanted to go to college to meet women, party, and some third thing I can't remember. His response freaked me out so much that I altered my priorities before day 1 in college (see chapter 1). The student didn't pay attention to the purpose of the story. She just wanted to use it to be smart (and I don't mean in a good way).

Third, many high school and college students consider meeting members of the opposite sex, partying, fraternity life, and other extra-curricular activities to be the purposes of college. They aren’t. Get that out of your head immediately, because your priorities are often reflected in your performance. Thankfully I realized this before I started my college career. I hope the disrespectful brat in the class learns this … and manners … and some personal accountability … and learns them soon.

PB

P.S. No, I didn’t answer her question. What’s wrong with you?

No comments: