Saturday, December 8, 2007

More on the LCs

Since my last post on Library Campers (LCs), I have noticed more and more LCs. The other day I went back into the library and again, not remembering its finals because I am not teaching this term, I didn't expect to see them; but there they were. They multiplied like Gremlins, just not as good looking.

At UConn, the basement of library had a party atmosphere during mid-terms and especially during finals. The mood was extra-social; it was the place to see and be seen. Most parties weren't as fun as the basement of the library on those days.

Anyway, the other day, the library had the same kind of party atmosphere that the basement of the Babbidge Library used to have. Every seat was taken. Students were sitting on the tops of the computer desks. The noise level was pretty high. Lots of socializing. Lots of talking. Lots of action. And you know what else...

NO ONE WAS ACTUALLY STUDYING. Ok, a few were, but I needed effect.

As an undergrad, occasionally, I would read in bed, and then I would fall asleep. During the nap, I would dream that I was reading the book. Similarly, simply going to the library won't educate you. You actually have to study.

As a side note, it always amazed me that people could actually study while listening to music with headphones. I can understand that some light, background music would be okay, but students appear to be jamming as they are trying to read. Do they really comprehend anything? I don't think so.

So, after I left the library, I noticed that LCs had taken over the entire campus. Students are looking for any space they can to study. The floor, the bookstore, the bathroom ... ok, maybe not the floor ... but they are everywhere. This leads to me the following question: if the students were studying this furiously during the term, where were they? Why didn't I see them?

I strongly suspect that many of the students weren't studying, and that's why I didn't see them. For a long time now, I have been convinced that effort – treat college work as if it’s your full-time job – determines grades. Nothing I have seen from the LCs would lead me to think otherwise.

P.S. The Babbidge Library didn't look this good when I went to UConn. In fact, it was literally falling apart. A makeshift entrance had to be made to protect people from getting hit by bricks as they entered the building. No kidding. The building was wrapped in plastic for the five-and-a-half years I went to UConn. Why does it look so good now? Thank Jim Calhoun. No kidding.

No comments: